Destiny 2 reviews round-up – all the impressions, none of the scores

By Sherif Saed

Destiny 2 may be already out in the wild, but the majority of reviewers didn’t get access until a few hours ago.

This means – as you’ve probably imagined – that there aren’t any complete reviews of the game yet. There simply hasn’t been enough time for the media to properly assess Destiny 2.

What we do have, however, is a whole bunch of early impressions. Many of these, much like our very own, are based on impressions of a recent build played at Bungie HQ, while a few other reviewers had early access thanks to physical copies or regional launch times.

In both sets, you’ll find impressions and other musings about the early game, but not much about server issues or whether or not Bungie’s many changes in the sequel resulted in a better game.

destiny_2_emb_env_titan_public_event_1

Here are the few we found so far. We’ll add scores to each one as soon as they arrive.

Gamespot

“Of course, all of this still feels like Destiny. The new social space, the Farm, is functionally the same as the Tower in the original. Finding loot and switching out your old gear still takes up a significant portion of your time. Enemies have been tweaked, but they’re not wildly different, either. That’s not necessarily bad, but it also makes me wonder if I’ll see Destiny 2 as a sequel, rather than a half-step forward, the longer I play and the more I grind and repeat.”

Polygon

“At the very least, what I’ve played of Destiny 2 is an incredibly promising start. In plain English, it feels like Destiny without all the bull****.”

USgamer

“Destiny 2 doesn’t necessarily feel like full sequel to Destiny, but it doesn’t need to. So far, what’s here is fun and engaging.”

IGN

“My initial impressions leave me with more questions than answers. Is the story going to stay engaging through the end? Are the great drops going to get stingier at higher levels? Am I going to get bored exploring the new destinations? We’ll have to answer those hanging questions later, but based on what I’ve experience so far, Destiny 2 hasn’t disappointed my high expectations as a fan of the original.”

Destructoid

“Destiny 2 doesn’t necessarily feel like a full sequel as much as an improved expansion, but that’s not a bad thing if you just wanted more Destiny. So far I’m enjoying myself despite its shallowness at times, just keep in mind that it remains to be seen just how grindy the endame is. That’s something I’ll be taking a look at closely as I prepare for my full review, but only after I’ve maxed out (level 20) my Warlock!”

Attack of the Fanboy

“One thing that’s not really debatable is the level of quality found throughout the game, first in terms of presentation aspects like visuals, art-design, sound quality and soundtrack. Destiny 2 absolutely shines here. Each world feels unique, with hidden pockets of cave systems and unique art. Sound always feels pitch perfect for the situation whether on an exploration or tense firefight. The tone of Destiny always feels spot-on for the activity that you’re attempting.”

destiny_2_emb_crucible_pvp_legions_gulch_1

Ars Technica

“I am not at an ideal state to issue anything resembling a verdict. But I at least feel safe declaring this: I entered the event perturbed that I would play so much Destiny 2 and not get to transfer that progress to the final, retail version. Now, I am anxious to dive back in and try again. I want to flex the muscles of an entirely different class. I want to devote far more attention to so much in-mission dialogue and exposition.”

Rolling Stone

“I haven’t had a chance to finish the campaign yet. To my delight, the story’s at least as long as the classic Halo games I fell in love with so many years ago, and there’s a whole world – four of them, in fact – to investigate with my fellow Guardians. In the depths of Nessus, Ghost has even heard tell of a planet-eating worldship and a pissed-off emperor named Calus, who might have an axe to grind with Ghaul. Sounds like we’re in for a long wild ride.”

And there’s one score from Slant:

Slant Magazine – 4/5

Destiny 2 is out now on PS4, and Xbox One. The PC version releases October 24.

Comments